Saturday, October 17, 2009

The more I do it, the more I realize...

I have come to a conclusion: the more I glaze, the more I hate it.

There, I have said it. Yes, sacrilegious. How can a ceramist not embrace the art of glazing? Well, it's not my cup of tea, but I'm not rejecting it totally.

For now, I'm exploring two alternatives to glazing/overglazing: 1. using color slip, and 2. using oil paint, acrylic paint...etc.

So today, I made Kappa-san here, and I put color slip (that I painstakingly made by myself. Seriously, it's a lot of work to prepare color slip) on him. I think I like what I see so far.


It seems that with this slip I can get a painting effect.


And yes, I may have a Kappa obsession. But we are getting closer to Halloween, so why not? It is a water sprite, after all.


Oh, and another thing, this is not how a traditional Kappa looks like. I stylized it, just for fun.

1 comment:

  1. I like the beak and its expression through the eyes. Cool work! =)

    ReplyDelete